Portal Gun (WIP) Progress Update! | UE4


Hey guys! This is a followup video. In the previous video, I showed you my portal gun, which could only create portals and teleport the player to the location, and set the players forward vector accordingly. I now have managed to add additional functionality:




  1. Portal Gun plays a sound when placing a portal
  2. Portal Gun will only place portals on surfaces with a specific material
  3. If the material does not match the specified material, it plays a sound to let the player know that the portal cannot be placed here.
  4. The velocity of the player now gets carried over when the player teleports!
Things left to do:
  1. Make it so that the portal spawns only in places where there is space. If there is no space to spawn, the portals keeps moving +1 to the left or right, depending on which line traces generate an overlap event. Not sure how I would go about doing this, but I'm going to try! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (DONE)
  2. Improve the render target. (DONE)
  3. Add visual improvements, such as FX when shooting. (DONE)
  4. General fixes and improvements.
Tutorial Series up! You can visit the tutorial series on this page:


Unreal Academy Game Developer

I like to develop games and help other people achieve their dreams of Game Development as well! I hope you'll find my blog useful, and if you do, please do not forget to subscribe to me on YouTube and watch an ad to support me!

No comments:

Post a Comment